Last updated on March 25th, 2023 by A1 True Jobs
Wildcard SSL certificates are a must-have if you are managing multiple subdomains on the same primary domain. The protection of a single certificate provides security for various subdomains across multiple web servers saving you time and money. With secure browsing becoming increasingly important for search engines, investing in wildcard SSL certificates is becoming increasingly important for businesses with multiple subdomains.
What is a wildcard SSL certificate?
The wildcard SSL certificate is an online resource for multi-domain security, allowing you to secure your main domain along with an unlimited number of subdomains associated with it. When purchasing the wildcard SSL certificate, place an asterisk (*) in front of the domain name like *thisismywebsite.com. The asterisk allows you to own all rights to other first-level subdomains that could be associated with it, such as mail.thisismywebsite.com, products.thisismywebsite.com, and secure.thisismywebsite.com regardless of whether the subdomains are hosted on the same web server or spread across multiple servers.
This extended validation makes it incredibly easy to keep your website protected and secure. Additionally, certifying your website this way means you will not have to purchase individual SSL certificates for each sub domain of your site. When visitors see the certificate authority, they will know any information they put on your website will be secure. It also ensures that you would not be behind your competition on SEO compliance with search engines almost mandating https security through SSL certificates.
How Wildcard SSL Certificate work
Wildcard SSL certificates are also called multi-domain certificates. They use the same validation method as regular SSL certificates. The only difference is that this type of SSL certificate covers multiple domains allowing you to secure more than just one domain.
Wildcard SSL Certificate Features
Below are some of the features of our multi-domain SSL certificates:
- They secure an unlimited number of subdomains on a primary domain.
- We offer a simple purchase and installation process. We also offer assisted installation.
- Subdomains can be on the same web server or spread across multiple servers.
- Our certificates are issued in minutes after domain validation.
- Cross-browser compatibility and support.
- Supports most popular content management systems including WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.
- Seamless HTTPS browsing to facilitate secure browsing mandated by most search engines.
- Ideal for B2B brochureware websites, e-commerce websites and more.
- We offer 256-bit SSL encryption with our SSL certificates
- An easy to use console to manage your SSL certificates.
Wildcard SSL Certificate Benefits
The idea of using a multi-domain wildcard SSL certificate to secure all your secondary domains is certainly intriguing. Here is a quick rundown of a few benefits you will have:
- You can choose the appropriate encryption strength, 40 to 256 bits, for your website, thus giving you the flexibility you need to keep your website running smoothly.
- Wildcard SSL certificates are issued in a short amount of time, meaning your website sub-domains will be secured and protected quickly.
- This SSL certificate comes with a privacy and security guarantee. This is no ordinary benefit, especially if you want to secure a secondary domain for emailing purposes. Your clients want to ensure their messages are kept private and seeing a Wildcard SSL certificate will assure them of their encrypted privacy.
- Finally, these certificates allow you to recertify your website (and any new secondary domain names) within the lifespan of the original certificate. It is just another way you can guarantee that your online space will be protected and authenticated without the hassle of needing to buy new SSL certificates.
- You can rest easy knowing your website is protected by vulnerability scanning making it virtually hacker proof.
A vital part of any website
No matter what you use your website for, be it to sell your products or to simply blog your opinions, a Wildcard SSL certificate will keep your users (and your information) exactly where it belongs: on your website.