Last updated on March 25th, 2023 by A1 True Jobs
CKEditor 4 is a browser-based rich text editor. It's extensible with a plugin-based architecture that makes it possible to bring necessary content processing features to the web. On the market for almost 15 years, CKEditor earns its place on this list because of its tenure as one of the most reputable editors with wide-ranging features and legacy software compatibility.
According to users, ease of setup is one of its best qualities. CKEditor’s other benefits include fast loading (which saves development time) and the ability to modify projects on the fly without manually editing and uploading them to your server.
- Alexa Rank - 10,670
- Developer(s) - CKSource
- Stable release CKEditor 4 - July 17, 2020
- Stable release CKEditor 5 - July 24, 2020
- Type - HTML editor, online rich-text editor
- Website - https://ckeditor.com/
1. CKEditor 4 : Proven, enterprise-grade WYSIWYG HTML editor with wide browser compatibility, including legacy browsers.
- Paste from Word and Excel, spell check, accessibility checker, tables.
- Autocomplete, @mentions, widgets, code snippets, emoji plugins.
- Full control over content: HTML filtering, view source mode.
- Great accessibility: WCAG 2.0 AA and Section 508 compliant.
- Long-term support (LTS) until 2023.
- Written in ES6 with MVC architecture, custom data model, virtual DOM.
- Responsive images and media embeds (videos, tweets).
- Custom output format: HTML and Markdown support.
- Boost productivity with auto-formatting and collaboration.
- Extensible and customizable by design.
3. Collaboration: With CKEditor 5, every application can become online collaboration software. Boost your productivity with faster review and instant delivery.
- Real-time collaborative editing for documents.
- Track changes.
- Comments, discussions, users panel with avatars.
- Comment-only mode for text suggestions.
- Support for all rich-text features, including tables or media.
4. Image upload: Flexible image upload and file manager tools for adding responsive images, videos or PDF files to your content.
- One-click hassle-free drag & drop file upload support.
- Top-notch security with granular user permissions.
- File and folder management: upload, delete, move, categorize.
- Built-in image editor with image crop and resize or filters.
- Multiple storage options: local file server, FTP and cloud support.
5. Export to PDF and Word : Easily generate a PDF or Word file from your editor content. Styles of the original content will be maintained in the exported file.
- Craft the content, click the button, download and print.
- Ready to use with CKEditor 5 and CKEditor 4.
- Support for page breaks and embedding images.
- Suggestions and comments visible in the exported Word file.
- Setting header and footer to be included in the PDF file.